Third Time's The Charm: My Struggles in Becoming a Lawyer


Third time is the charm and it is about time! God really made me trust His will. I was rewarded at the right time. I almost quit and I lost hope. God lifted me up. After taking the bar for three times, I passed the November 2016 Philippine Bar Examinations.

I graduated on April 2014 with the degree of Juris Doctor. I took the degree for four straight years. I know that I am not a perfect law student. I was working then in the Provincial Government. My parents were not aware that my grades in my Transcript of Record are filled with line of 7. But now, it does not matter. 

Let me tell you my struggles and I hope that my story will help you ease the pain of gradually losing the drive to finish law school and taking and passing the bar examinations.

Take a look at me. I am but an ordinary civil servant-slash-below average law student. I admit it and my class and batch mates can attest that law school is not my thing. It's my parents'.

Before graduation, I was reluctant to enroll in San Sebastian Review Center. I sacrificed half of my salary (PhP 7,000) to pay for the fee. I just prayed that I will graduate on time. Luckily, I did.


My review mates and I went to Our Lady of Manaoag Church in Pangasinan to pray for our fate.




Next plan then was to go to Supreme Court to apply as 2014 bar examinees.



Days were counted as if we were about to be sentenced into life imprisonment. I focused on following my schedule in studying. I did not miss any review schedule. And literally, I spent the whole day eating and reading.

 





Whenever I feel tired, I would contact my siblings so we can watch movies and eat dinner together. I found peace by seeing my family then. I cried in front of them out of stress, frustration and depression.



Staying in Baste was extraordinary. I met some public icons. I took the chance to have photo opportunities with Ramon Bautista and Onyok Velasco.


The time came when we needed to go to SC personally to get our test passes. It signaled that few days were left before the examination month.



My stay in Manila was even complete when I also experienced flooding inside Baste. I was so eager to study that I insisted on going to the library to study. Much to my dismay, I was a victim of knee deep flood on my way back to the dorm. I prayed and cried since I might fall inside a man hole or canal. I was lucky to return safely.




After that incident, bright days were ahead and these days were filled with anxiety. I visited churches and offered prayers for me to pass.

I went to Padre Piio Church, San Sebastian Church, Sta. Clara Monastery, Antipolo Church and St. Jude Parish  to seek for guidance.

 









We were also given motivation by Dean Riano on how to survive the month long exams.


Having sleepless nights, we enjoyed Mcdo meals to revive our energy.


I spent almost every Saturday before Sunday exams attending KOKO Bar alongside with last minute review c/o our school.


During the four weeks, my spirit was strong because of my friends and family.








It was not a doubt that I finished the four weeks of our bloody examination. Somehow, I felt satisfied with my answers. I lifted it all to God.

I paid tribute to Him, Jesus and Mary when we visited Pink Sisters Church in Tagaytay after our examinations.


I toured Tagaytay with my friends from Batangas (Joseph), Dipolog City (Ines), Quirino (Grace) and Santiago (Ate Cherry).


After relaxation, it's time to leave my dorm for six months. My father accompanied me so I will not be alone in carrying my things back in Batangas.


We also visited Quiapo Church, St. Jude Parish and Baclaran Church before returning to the province.

 


I collected some snacks from the pabaon during Bar Operations.


Days after the exam, I returned to work also. My office mates were so thoughtful in welcoming me back in Provincial Information Office.



I also scheduled my meeting with my close friends.


They even arranged a small reunion so I could breathe out the negative vibes brought by my stay in Manila during review. Tropang Layas will never let me down. 



Few months passed and my ordinary days turned into special one when Pope Francis visited Philippines. I wanted to see him so he can bless me. My sister and I were so lucky to be given free tickets inside Mall of Asia Parking Lot to see him up close and personal.




My father was also there to accompany us. He's so supportive plus religious that he also saw the pope closely though he sacrificed the tickets for my sister and I.


After a week, my sister and I also climbed the 3rd highest mountain in the Philippines. Yes, we conquered Mount Pulag.


I realized that despite my prayers, years 2014, 2015 and 2016 are not for me. Yes, I failed the examination for twice in a row.

It took time to heal the wounds. After knowing the results, my sister and I went to South Korea. I briefly forgot the pain since I enjoyed the trip especially when we met Sandara Park there.


On my second take, I did not have much documentation. I self reviewed at my boarding house with my friend. I only filed leave every Friday before the examinations. I was so stressed also since I was then tasked to lead the production for the last birthday of former Gov. Vilma Santos Recto in the Capitol.

Here's the proof of my sibling who planned to surprise me during my second take salubong. I did not bring any communication device with me during that time. They're lucky to catch me in Chowking in Buendia terminal. They convinced me to freshen up my mind. We went to Ayala Triangle to watch the dancing lights and ended the long day with Starbucks drinks.


And came 2016, I spent relax time while working at the Capitol. Again, I self reviewed. I only used must read cases per subject. 

I also spent a trip abroad with my siblings. It's a first for us and a first time for me to celebrate my birthday there.


And, I attended a bunch of training even during the examination month.




And during the last week, we visited Taal and I did not waste the chance to get holy water from the well there. Little did I know that this moment will bless me and will change my life. I passed Remedial, the killer subject!


I finished my November 2016 examination as if God guided me all the way. Our exams last year could have been the most tiring one in the history of bar examinations. Every exam, there's an extension but still, no changes as to schedule. We're like committing suicide for a month.

Thankfully, I survived. I will reveal here that after every Sunday exams, I walked from University of Santo Tomas going to Doroteo Jose Station just to return to Batangas via Buendia bus terminal. It's still clear in my memory that I am crying inside while walking in the dark alleys of Manila. I am a probinsyana. I was so paranoid since I carried a clear bag with gadgets and other things. I realized that God is indeed with me all the time.

And my last Sunday was even memorable. I thought that for the last time in my life, I will see someone from our family greeting me in my salubong ritual. Still, my siblings were late. I cried  pail of tears. I was so sentimental since I promised that it will be my last time in taking the exams. And it's definitely my last. Thanks God he rewarded me after suffering too much stress and depression.


I offered to God my all. A month before the release of the 2016 Bar Examinations, I gave my family a treat. We traveled out of town and stayed in a condominium unit to relax. Upon seeing them, I said to myself that I must be ready whatever happens to me - whether I fail or pass the exam.



On May 3, 2017, I did everything opposite to what I did for the previous years while waiting for the results. I cut my hair. I stayed in our office. I did not use any internet capable device.

However, I kept one thing. I let my sister tell me the results. When I answered her call, she was already crying. I even shouted at her not to crack jokes. After her call, many were trying to call me. It's a sign that the news was true. I PASSED THE NOVEMBER 2016 BAR EXAMINATIONS. I AM NUMBER 208 IN THE LIST. I AM NOW ATTY. KRISTINA MARIE JOY BONSOL ANDAL.

To God be all the glory!



Our school immediately scheduled our recognition in front of the whole University of Batangas family.


We were also invited for our testimonial dinner. It's a first time to have it outside UB. We held it in Ginazelle's. We were given one miniyte each since it's a history also to have 28 BAR PASSERS IN UB PLUS A TOPNOTCHER WHO IS THE ONLY ONE FROM LUZON.

YES, I AM PART OF THE HISTORY. OUR BATCH HAILED PROVINCIAL SCHOOL TOPNOTCHERS AND NONE FROM THE NCR AREA. I AM PART OF THE 59.06% AND 3,747 BAR PASSERS.



On May 22, we went to Mall of Asia Arena. There were many times that I watched KPop concerts here but that day was extra special. It's a first also for the Supreme Court to hold the oath taking ceremonies there.










And on May 30, I signed the Roll of Attorneys with my precious family. I am ATTORNEY NUMBER 68---! 





I am now not afraid of visiting UB. In fact, when I went there I was feeling giddy seeing congratulatory tarps as Political Science and Juris Doctor alumnae.




My parents also made their 33th wedding anniversary more special when they coincided my thanksgiving party to theirs. Many of my friends, office mates and relatives joined us in this momentous event of our family.












 


I was recognized also by the Provincial Government of Batangas. My eight years of service was all worth it. Governor Hermilando I. Mandanas gave us plaque of recognition for passing the 2016 Bar Examinations.




I AM NOW UP FOR MORE CHALLENGES IN PRACTICING LAW PROFESSION AND SERVING OUR COUNTRY AS A BATANGUEÑA LAWYER.

BONUS!!!

Due to fear of not successfully hurdling the bar examinations, I also took Licensure Examinations for Teachers last March 26, 2017.

I claim it that this is my year! I also passed LET. I AM NOW A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL TEACHER. I AM MARCH 2017 SECONDARY LEVEL LET PASSER NO. 1095 (MAJOR IN SOCIAL SCIENCES).



THEREFORE, I AM ATTY. KRISTINA MARIE JOY B. ANDAL, LPT. IN TIME, I WILL PRACTICE BOTH OF MY PROFESSIONS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Created By Sora Templates